Rapper is able to pay minimal amount in child support

| Jan 17, 2014 | Child Support |

Divorce is not an easy thing to go through, especially if you have children. What will happen with the children and how they will be supported are two big questions that need to be addressed in divorce. The care and custody of the children are of paramount concern for the courts because ensuring the child’s well-being is of the utmost concern for all involved. When making child support decisions, the courts do take into consideration the financial standing of who will be paying the support.

Ludacris, a famous rapper and actor, is about to be in a child support dispute with the mother of his newborn daughter. This is the rapper’s second child. The mother of the child is suing Ludacris for child support in excess of what he is claiming he can pay. Because of Ludacris’ status in Hollywood and the music industry, with respect to the amount of money he earns, the baby’s mother feels that he has the ability to pay more than the amount the court may order him to pay based on what he claims he makes monthly. In Georgia, the state where Ludacris resides, child support calculations are based on the per month income of the person paying the support.

Even if the court makes a child support determination based on all the facts and circumstances presented to them at the time of the hearing, they can always change the amount of support that is paid, if there is a change in financial circumstances that would warrant it. Monthly payments are not written in stone and are subject to review, if the matter is brought before the court’s attention. The whole purpose of child support is to ensure that the child’s needs are met. If the court makes a ruling that more child support is required in order to do this, then that will be done as long as that decision does not place the paying party in a bad financial situation.

Child support cases are tricky. It may be necessary to contact an attorney.

Source: Examiner, “Ludacris’ baby mama issues: Being sued for more child support,” Jan. 4, 2014

FindLaw Network