Famous actor wants to modify his child support bill

On Behalf of | Mar 20, 2014 | Child Support |

Child support is a court ordered award that is paid to the custodial parent by the non-custodial parent to help provide for the needs of the child. The custodial parent is usually defined as the parent with physical custody over the child, which means that parent is charged with ensuring that the child’s day-to-day needs are met. So, when a court enters a judgment for child support, these types of circumstances are taken into consideration. At the end of the day, the court wants to ensure that the child is provided for and makes its decision based on what is in the best interest of the child.

Famed actor Charlie Sheen is petitioning the court to lessen the amount he pays to one of his ex-wives in child support. Ex-wife, Denise Richards, the mother of two of Sheen’s children, is currently receiving about $55,000 per month in child support payments. According to Sheen, he hasn’t seen his daughters in quite some time and that may be part of the reason for the change in support request.

Modifying child support is something that is within the purview of the courts. However, this tends to happen in cases where there has been a change in the financial circumstances of the paying party that has rendered them unable to make the current payments. Courts take one’s financial status into consideration because it is not the intention of the court to make a person financially strapped from paying child support.

In order to have monthly payments modified, the parent slated with paying child support has to provide proof to the court as to why the payments need to be reduced. There is no guarantee that the court will modify a child support order but there is a strong likelihood that with the proper financial evidence, it will.

Source: My Daily News, “Charlie Sheen wants to pay less child support,” March 14, 2014

FindLaw Network