Actor ordered to pay spousal support

| Jul 9, 2014 | Divorce |

Divorce is one of the most difficult things a Michigan couple has to go through. Divorce means the ending of a relationship that the couple hoped would last forever. This can be devastating for a couple. Dealing with the end of something, especially where love is involved, is hard to do for just about everyone. But once the tears have dried it is time to get down to the business of getting a divorce, which can take a lot of time and energy.

In a divorce, the couple has to work out child custody and visitation issues where appropriate; settle any alimony or spousal support claims; and work through dividing up the property.

Columbus Short, an actor, was recently ordered by a court of law to pay his wife spousal support in addition to child support. The couple split up after nine years of marriage. Short did not show up for the court date but the judge ruled on the matter in his absence. Short may also be required to pay his soon-to-be ex’s legal bill as well.

How the court will rule on matters of alimony and child support depends in part on the financial status of the parties to the divorce. Spousal support, also called alimony, is typically granted to a spouse who depended financially on the other spouse. It is intended to help that spouse get back on their feet and enter the work force.

Usually, the party that has to pay child support is the noncustodial parent. The parent’s income is taken into account in setting the amount of the child support payment.

Source: US Weekly, “Columbus Short Ordered to Pay $21,000 a Month in Spousal, Child Support to Estranged Wife Tanee Short: Report,” Stephanie Webber, June 26, 2014

FindLaw Network