Law Offices of Harris & Literski
Menu Contact

As a full-service firm, we offer skilled representation in the following areas:

Legal Services

How can I find the other parent to get child support?

Michigan parents have a continuing responsibility to care for their children regardless of whether the two parents remain together in a relationship or whether the child lives with a parent. Child support from both parents is critical to ensuring that the child's needs are met and that one parent does not have to bear the burden of paying for health care, child care and all other child-rearing expenses alone.

In some cases, the custodial parent may not know where the non-custodial parent is located. This lack of information can prevent or hinder the custodial parent from seeking child support from that non-custodial parent. Fortunately, the Office of Child Support in the Michigan Department of Human Services, in cooperation with the Prosecuting Attorney and Friends of the Court, can assist custodial parents in locating the other parent in order to obtain child support.

In order to get the assistance of the Office of Child Support, a custodial parent should request that a case be opened. The custodial parent will then be assigned a caseworker, who will request certain helpful information from the custodial parent. Examples of information that a caseworker can use to locate non-custodial parents include the name and address of the person's employer, all names and/or nicknames used by the person, social security number, driver's license number, last known address, date and place of birth, photographs, the names and addresses of relatives with whom the person might have contact, military records, the person's hobbies or activities, a listing of assets owned by the person and accounts on Facebook or Twitter.

Many child support offices and agencies have significantly more resources at their disposal than individual parents. They are often able to use these resources to locate parents more effectively. Once a non-custodial parent is located, the custodial parent can work with the caseworker to complete the process of obtaining an order for child support.

Source: Michigan Department of Human Services, "Locating Parents," last accessed Sept. 30, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Law Offices of Harris & Literski
123 Brighton Lake Road, Suite 205
Brighton, MI 48116

Toll Free: 866-413-1606
Phone: 810-626-3281
Fax: 810-229-4764
Brighton Law Office Map

Review Us
Get In Touch

Questions Welcomed Free Initial Consultation

Tell Us About Your Personal Legal Matter

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy