How to recover damages when the other driver is uninsured

On Behalf of | May 1, 2017 | Car Accidents |

You may think you are prepared for the possible event of getting into a car accident. You know to seek medical attention immediately, take photos of the accident and swap insurance information with the other driver. But what if the other party is underinsured or not insured at all? Or what if you are the victim of a hit and run?

The bad news is that it can be harder to recover all the damages to which you are entitled. The good news is that it can be easier with the help of a personal injury lawyer who has years of experience in dealing with insurance companies.

How to protect against uninsured and underinsured drivers

While there is a legal requirement for the minimal amount of auto insurance, there is none for getting coverage for uninsured and underinsured drivers. It is best to opt for it anyway to protect yourself from a hit-and-run accident or from the many Michigan drivers who lack coverage. The risk is real: Michigan ranks fifth in the nation for uninsured motorists (21 percent) according to the Insurance Information Institute. It is also important to know your provider’s policy on filing this type of claim so you go about the process correctly.

How a lawyer can help

It may not seem necessary to involve lawyers if the accident or claims process seems straightforward. However, insurance companies want to pay you as little as possible. Even if you think you have enough protection, you cannot predict all the expenses or lost wages you may endure as a result of your injury.

An attorney can help you get maximum compensation by ensuring you make no mistakes that may compromise your claim and by fighting your provider for your rightful financial coverage. You may even have the possibility to sue the responsible driver for damages. You will need to speak to an attorney to determine what options are available to you.

FindLaw Network