Do I need permission from family law court to move?

| Nov 28, 2018 | Family Law |

You may have been excited when you were offered a new job or received an exciting educational opportunity, only to quickly deflate when you realized the distance involved. As a divorced parent, relocating to a new area can be complicated. Depending on the distance, you may even need to petition family law court for a modification of your child custody order before you can move.

If you are planning on moving to a different state or 100 miles away from your residence in Michigan, you must get permission from the court to do so. This is true even if you are not the custodial parent and both you and your child’s other parent agree to the move. Moving without having your custody order modified means that you would be in violation of the order and could potentially face contempt of court proceedings later on.

But what if the move is close by? Depending on the situation, you may still need to gain permission. If you are the custodial parent and your move is less than 100 miles away but into a different school district, your ex could request that the court prevent you from going anywhere. The move will then have to be evaluated by the court, which will take things like school quality, established friendships, extracurricular activities and more into account.

Moving is complicated when you have more to think about than just your own interests. Divorced parents in Michigan often struggle with questions about moving, sometimes even turning down important opportunities because they fear the court will say no to the move anyway. This does not have to be the case. The right guidance can help divorced parents secure the best decision possible in regard to their proposed move, their children’s best interests and other family law matters.

FindLaw Network