Will Michigan family law prevent me from moving?

| Mar 27, 2019 | Family Law |

Making decisions as a parent can be complicated because they do not just affect you, but also impact your children. If you are divorced or unmarried, you also have to consider how your decisions will affect your child’s other parent. This can be especially tricky when it comes to moving. Here are a few things you should know about how Michigan family law handles this topic.

Considering moving either to another state or over 100 miles away from your current home? No matter if you are the primary custodian or only have visitation, this type of move will affect your child custody order. Because it will affect your custody order, you will need to get permission before you can move. This is true even if both parents agree that the move is for the best.

But what if your ex does not agree to the move? You might have primary custody and your child’s other parent might not want to give up valuable opportunities for parenting time. Even if your ex has primary custody he or she might just want to make sure that your child has regular access to both parents. Whatever the reasons, you will have to petition the court for a modification to your custody order, and in doing so you will need to demonstrate how the move will be in your child’s best interests.

Moves are hard enough as it is, but your situation might make the matter especially complicated. You need to make sure that you go through the proper family law channels to avoid facing any legal repercussions for your action. For more information about Michigan family law, relocating, child custody and more, be sure to visit our website.

FindLaw Network